Introduce yourself!

Who we are and why, how to register, how things work.
RoryB

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by RoryB »

Hey everyone!

I have recently delved in the world of fantasy and self-published on amazon http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store/dp/B00DTFFS0K

Currently I am writing a sci-fi novel.

Not quite sure what to expect from this group but at the very least it would be great to get in contact with people who share the same passions. I would also be interested in exchanging works in progress for review and criticism (hopefully positive).

Anyways, let me know what you think.

Glad to be part of the crew :D
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi Rory! :D

Nice work on Amazon!

Are you in Sydney? Come along to our 19th October meeting and get to know us! If you have something you would like people to take a look at, then post it into the Monthly Workshops section (in the topic for the next meeting) so we can critique it in time for the meeting.

Hope to see you there!
OriginalJigen

Post by OriginalJigen »

Hello All

I'm currently writing the second draft of my Cyberpunk novel, which I hope to have finalised and published sometime this year. My schedule is a little all over the shop right now, so while I hope to be present for the March 15th meeting work and other commitments may get in the way. I'll post up a chapter of my novel closer to the date if it looks like I'll make it.

Looking forward to meeting you all.
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi Original Jigen! Thanks for joining! :D

I really hope you can make the 15th March meeting, that would be awesome. You sound like a very busy writer!
AdrianCollins

Post by AdrianCollins »

Afternoon all! I'm Adrian - obsessive reader, grimdark fantasy and sci-fi writer, and lover of beer.

My influences and favourite authors are: Joe Abercrombie, JRR Tolkien, David Gemmell, Mark Lawrence, Dan Abnett, Scott Lynch, R. Scott Bakker, George RR Martin, Graham McNiell, and probably many more. As you can tell, I'm a grimdark fan through and through. Give me blood, give me betrayal, give me the bad guy winning, and I'm happy.

I've got two books on Amazon, but personally rate them no better than fan fiction - though they were fun as a learning exercise.

My goals this year are to get my first publishing credit (either in short or long form - I'll take anything) and to finish my current WIP novel at a level that I feel good about querying agents for representation.

I love a bit of social media banter, and am happy to swap follows or just shoot the shit with you at https://www.facebook.com/AdrianCollins.Author or on twitter where I post stuff like book reviews. Brutal, succinct, constructive feedback is what i appreciate most and give best.

Thanks for letting me in!
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Welcome aboard, Adrian! :D

You're in good company here! We have a few self publishers, and going-to-be-self-publishers.

If you need any ass-kicking to get that novel written, let us know! ;)
AdrianCollins

Post by AdrianCollins »

Cheers Noemz, appreciate it. I'm looking forward to seeing a few short pieces up in this month's feedback section so I can help out a bit.
GrahamClements

Post by GrahamClements »

Hi Adrian,

I am one of the long distance users of this forum. I'll have a look at your story soon, I am critiquing another one at the moment.

Graham Clements.
AdrianCollins

Post by AdrianCollins »

No problem. Appreciate it Graham. Like I say in the accompanying post for the story, I'm at the point of scrapping it in frustration, so any insight you may have will be extremely helpful.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi all!

My name's Andrew. I was a fairly regular member before 2011 but got married and moved around a bit. Not much writing, hence not much participation here.

I've since been writing and have a working synopsis, for which I'd like some feedback. I'll go into more detail on the thread where I post my writing.

My favourite series is Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy, starting with The Way of Shadows. I've also read and enjoyed Joe Abercrombie. I think he's perhaps the better writer but I prefer my books with more hope (just a little. Not too much;)). They're probably my biggest inspirations (and Disney cartoons/animated flicks. If someone would make a gritty fantasy-based Disney cartoon I'd be all over it like a cat on a mouse soaked in tuna juice). Otherwise I'm a science teacher currently working a handful of hours per week as a dominos pizza deliverer (or 'driver expert,' as they like to call us) and taking teaching shifts where I get them. I live in Toowoomba, Queensland.

Hope to meet more of you and read your work. Due to my location I probably won't be attending meetings, but will read and review other's works as I get them.

See you around!

Andrew