Introduce yourself!

Who we are and why, how to register, how things work.
noemz
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by noemz »

Hi Andrew! Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to the group! :D
Lhmac

Post by Lhmac »

Hi, I'm Laura, 26.

What I write is on the fantasy side of Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I like swords and sorcery, but I mostly go for the superpowered people and some urban fantasy.
I write young adult novels, which I guess I can't really call novels until they have enough words to be so, but they definitely have the scope of novels.

I have two blogs, one that I post short stories, one where I post my novels. They're in around 1000-word posts. They're certainly not of a professional standard, but I want to get my stories out there (I have so many beginnings of stories and ideas, it's ridiculous) and work on honing my skills while I work seriously on my "I'm working on publishing it" stuff.

Um ... I'm in South-West Sydney. I hope I can make it to the next meetup.
I won't be posting things for critique until I'm a bit more comfortable, because I feel like I should have a somewhat serious version of my work before I ask for critique, but I have done a writing course at university, and I'm used to beta-reading (light editing) fanfiction (don't laugh, there are some serious writers who do fanfiction) and writers from deviantART.

I'm looking forward to meeting a group of writers who actually live in Australia and share their work :)
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi Laura! I hope you can make it to the next meeting, too! :D

We're a small and friendly group that can help with the ass-kicking to get those things finished, or give you some direction if you're stuck.

And I don't laugh at fan fiction. :) I have a few story ideas that originally spun off from shows I enjoyed!

Check out the stuff in the Monthly Workshops. There are a couple of items posted already for the March meeting. If you want to get a feel for critiquing, have a look at comments and critiques that people have posted for previous meetings.
Highfantasyaddict

Post by Highfantasyaddict »

Hi All!

I'm Helen. I write fantasy (short stories and novels) and review fantasy novels. I'm currently working on two manuscripts. The first is in the editing phase now, and the other I've just started writing as a way to break the monotony of editing! My goal is traditional publication; I've had a small success with my current project picking up a highly commended in the Australian Society of Authors' Emerging Writers and Illustrators awards last year. Writing is a lonely business, and I'd love to have the opportunity to share the writing journey with other similarly-minded folks. I also like to attend festivals and workshops. Looking forward to meeting you all IRL (In Real Life) or virtually.
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

I look forward to meeting you this Saturday!

And congratulations on the ASA award! Are you a member? Do you go to their writing workshops?

I know what you mean about the lonely business of writing, which is why it's always great to get together. As a fantasy writer, you are definitely in good company! :D
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi Edward, pleased to meet you! So, are you writing at the moment?

We've just had a meeting, so you have two months to get something finished and post it for workshopping! ;) (No pressure!) If that thought terrifies you, just make it short! And if the story ends up falling apart, just turn up anyway to the meeting for a beer. :lol:

The forum is usually a bit quiet until a meeting approaches, then with a week to go, people start posting stories.
chrisgal

Post by chrisgal »

Hi my name is Christopher and I found a flyer for this group at a table at Comic Gong 2014 held here in Wollongong. I haven't done any creative writing lately but keep a journal on my PC, I remember high school English class and I enjoyed and got top marks for creative writing pieces. I am glad I have found a writing group that is interested in fiction and is also having an online presence, feasibly I could even attend meetings in Surry Hills now and then.
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Welcome to the forum, Christopher! Ha, nice to see that my flyers found a writer at Comic Gong today! ;)

If you can make it to a meeting, it's really great to meet up with other writers. If you can't make it to a meeting, you can still post a story to the forum for critique. Have a look at some of the stuff that is posted already, as well as the comments.

Hope to see you around! :D
ThomasLayton

Post by ThomasLayton »

Hi Ya'll, my name's Tom, been reading a lot of infinitas stuff for a while, never really taken the opportunity to interact with the group until now. Been writing for years now, been reading for longer, looking forward to discussing both when I finally show up at the next meeting.

I'm a big lover of short stories, both to write and to read. I once read a precis by William Gibson where he said that the Short Story is something akin to the purest expression of both concept and character when it comes to science fiction, and from what I've seen I'm inclined to believe him, but in spite of that I've been working on a novel for the past for years, and the desire for feedback with that, and wanting to see if my attempts to control the various loose ends are successful, is the main reason why I've decided to get involved here.
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi Tom! I look forward to meeting you in July!

Go into the Monthly Workshops area here: http://www.infinitaswriters.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

First read the top thread on "How to post stories and comments", which has all the instructions you'll need.

Then, upload your story/extract/synopsis into the thread for "20th July 2014".

If you're stuck with the novel, then upload a synopsis for us to look at. You could also include a single paragraph description; this helps to boil down the novel's concept so that it is clear.