Using "Earth" units in science fiction?

For general chitchat which may or may not be about writing.
noemz
Site Admin

Using "Earth" units in science fiction?

Post by noemz »

If you have human colonists, possibly thousands of years removed from their departure from Earth, would it be jarring to have them still use Earth measurements like seconds, minutes, hours, kilometres, etc?

I figure that once humanity settles upon a system of measurement that works, then the only way we'd part with it is if we found a better system, or if the colonists went through a disaster that meant losing records, education, etc and had to rebuild their measurement systems from scratch.

Thoughts?
asydneygirl

Re: Using "Earth" units in science fiction?

Post by asydneygirl »

I don't think it's a problem.

I think units of measurement are so innocuous and ubiquitous, that unless there's some pressing need to change them (i.e you're writing in a time before these measurements existed) readers would prefer a simple, recognisable system rather than having to learn a whole new language just to gauge distance.

Recent example - the red rising series. Sci-fi set in the future (after earth has colonised mars and other planets) and the units of measurements are the same as ours. In fact, I had to do a search in my e-book to check because that's how little I noticed it in the story.

Personal opinion - I love the metric system in sci-fi, but prefer the imperial system in fantasy. Something about the metric system feels so off in fantasy to me - even contemporary fantasy.
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

I agree. The metric system feels anachronistic and more technological. I mean, it was developed later as a more sensible way to measure things! ;)

It's amazing just how much easier using our units makes the writing, too. "Give me a minute." "It'll take a few hours." "He looked at her for a second." "He raised the platform by a metre." Etc.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Ha! I love being part of a group where people think about stuff like this!

This isn't so much an issue in terra liberorum given its only five minutes into the future but I do find this is an issue for fantasy.

I have a side project called Stone, Steel and Sky and in that novel I make a point of using the metric system - even though its High Fantasy, pseudo-medieval, a world other than our own type thing. I just resent the dominance of the Imperial system in Fantasy. I think its so stupid. I mean if the characters can speak English (with usually a few random made up swear words or some sorta-middle English words thrown in) then they can measure things however they damn well please. For all the reader knows the author is 'translating' the measurements for their benefit!
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

I do feel that the metric system is more advanced, though, so it feels a little jarring to me in fantasy (where technology tends to be more at European Renaissance level or replaced with magic). The metric system was "okay, those old measurements served their purpose but they were unwieldy; now that we know better, let's have another go at it". It's measurements mark 2.

But do whatever works for you. :)