Introduce yourself!

Who we are and why, how to register, how things work.
SoulThief

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by SoulThief »

A sample of one of my works-in-progress can be found at http://greole.com/blog/tempting-in-shade-teaser/

ST
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

When I've finalised a meeting date, I'll create a new section in "Monthly Workshops" where people can post their stories for this meeting.

There's still some time before the next meeting (it's looking like 21st November), so how about you rework your short story and then post it when it's ready? :)
mikemoog

Post by mikemoog »

Hi noemz
You seem to be a busy little person. Well, unless you yourself are a bot. But in either case: hello!
About 10 years ago I self-published a collection of stories and 'vignettes' (and even went so far as to hand-make the books). I sold about two copies but the giveaways went down well. The title piece made finalist in an online comp. I then tried to turn it into a screenplay but realised that was a whole lot harder than it looks. I'm a little concerned that I may have run out of things to write. Please help. Over.

In some ways I'm as interested in the ideas of sf/fantasy/..slipstream etc, as the literature itself, although I've been Kindle-ing my way through some pretty good stuff ever since stumbling across Neal Stephenson about 3 yrs ago, and then 'following the links' through Ted Chiang, Charles Stross, ..Paul McAuley. Kij Johnson. And others.
These people are enviably good writers with some astonishing concepts and real pathos. I get my kicks just reviewing them on Amazon!

But I'm looking forward to exchanging views, authors, ideas and words with the group.
Keep me posted!

Mike
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi Mike, welcome!

Our next meeting will be in July, mostly likely on Saturday 16th or Sunday 17th (I take a vote as we get closer, to check people's availability). Usually it's the third weekend of each odd month.

People will post stories to the Monthly Workshops section, so you can have a look and a read and give people feedback, then come along to the meeting and join us for lunch and a merry chin wag. I think that getting in amongst other writers helps to rekindle that writing flame. But if that fails to work, we can set you a writing task and promise to kick your butt I mean provide motivation. ;)

Hopefully we'll see you in July! In the meantime, check out what people have posted for the previous meetings, so you can get a feel for how we work, and maybe even pick up some inspiration!
M1888

Post by M1888 »

Hi Everyone!

I've just joined the group! I didn't know you guys existed or I would have joined years ago!
So about me... I've been writing for about eight years now, and of that, about four years as a serious writer, meaning I will publish my work at some point. Currently I am working on my novel, but it's projected to be roughly 250K - 300K words long, so much too long for a singular novel, so perhaps I'm working on a trilogy. I can't wait to share bits and pieces of it with you. That novel is speculative fiction, with a real heavy fantasy element.
I also write children's stories, mostly horror, so I know you guys would love to see some of that too.
I'm about to finish my Bachelor of Arts at Western Sydney University and will go onto doing the Master of Arts in Creative Writing in 2018. I get six months off in the second half of 2017 and plan on writing full time... I'm so excited to do that!

I live in Penrith, so not too far away, and I'm hoping to come to some meetings if time and family commitments allow me (I have three children, so life is chaotic!).

Happy writing to you all...
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi M1888! Welcome!

Our next meeting is on Sunday 15th January, so come along if you can! :D
DazWizzle

Post by DazWizzle »

Evening everyone

Hi I'm Darren,
Have been recommended to check this site out from one of my neighbors and to be honest have been looking for something like this for a good few months.
I don't consider myself a writer and to be honest one of the people who was always picked on by the grammar Nazis all through school (Its just something I have always found extremely difficult). I have always wanted a story of my own and that's why I started to write, draw and animate.
The last 10 Years I have been writing a fantasy novel that started as something very different. The end idea will be to animate the story (a goal I have had since high-school). Since I started this at the end of high-school the story had taken many turns and twists I never expected. Now I have created a world with characters full of backstory, an entire planet full of law and history with a race of people created based on how badly I can draw humans. At the moment its looking to be around the 100k word mark and am looking forward to finally finishing it and moving on to exploring other areas/characters of the story.
I am a part of a group like this at work where I have received a lot of constructive feedback from a number of people. The end goal is to publish the story although I still have a bit of editing and restructuring myself to go. I am planning on sending it off to an editor once I am done.
Examples of my work are located on fiction press, but will be removed at a later date. https://www.fictionpress.com/~dazwizzle

Thanks for the recommendation Jamie.
Regards,

Darren

"The poop was me... Sorry. In my defence, I've never had the poop talk before" - Jaime
"I am no longer engaging in the mermaid poop conversation" - Karin
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Welcome, Darren! :D

Our next meeting is on Sunday 25th June at the Shakespeare Hotel in Surry Hills. Come along!
Lhmac

Post by Lhmac »

Hi there,

I thought I'd introduce myself, since I randomly turned up today, and all. I wasn't sure if I was going to or not, so I didn't announce it.

But I've actually been a part of this group for ... a long while. Pretty sure I once tried to come to a meetup, but it didn't quite work. I didn't remember I had a login to the forum until last night and had to get a new password, so that's why I hadn't read anything yet, haha.

Anyway, did I have a point? This is me, I'm Laura. Maybe one day I'll show you some of the stuff I write, but I really liked your discussion today. Hope to join in next time.
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Welcome back to the forum, Laura! Oh good, we didn't scare you away! :lol: