Introduce yourself!

Who we are and why, how to register, how things work.
LeeW

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by LeeW »

Hi, I'm Lee, Darren's wife. I went to the group today just to see what it was all about. I obviously enjoyed it. I'm an avid reader who will pick up practically anything but I do prefer to read fantasy. As far as writing goes I am more of a fan fiction writer but after listening to everyone today I hope to change that.
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Welcome to the group, Lee! Are you going to write something and post it for us for next month? ;) No pressure! :lol:
Rosbrown

Post by Rosbrown »

noemz wrote:Welcome to the group, Lee! Are you going to write something and post it for us for next month? ;) No pressure! :lol:
Hi
I am writing an older young adult book about a kid raised as a doomsday prepper, a white kid who wants to be a gangsta rapper and an alien detective who wants to find his war hero father at Roswell. It's a bit of a satire but it's about relationships as well. I would like to join this group. You look like you are having a good time in your photo. I was in a great group but I have a new job and I work late so I am only available weekends.
There is a bit of swearing in the dialogue. Is that ok.? I don't want to offend anybody. I'll look on the site to see where to post and read peoples work. I look forward to November
Cheers
Ros brown
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi Ros!

Swearing isn't a problem, we've got plenty. :lol:

Have a look in the Monthly Workshops area, and read the rules in there before posting. It's a good idea to start by posting something short like a short story, or a synopsis for your novel for us to look at.

Hope to see you in November!
DazWizzle

Post by DazWizzle »

LAST!!!!! :D
Regards,

Darren

"The poop was me... Sorry. In my defence, I've never had the poop talk before" - Jaime
"I am no longer engaging in the mermaid poop conversation" - Karin
JohnLewis

Post by JohnLewis »

Hi I am the writer of John Lewis stories and definitely a lurker. Since I joined eons ago I have written and published four children's' book in the fantasy area and next year I want to learn about the marketing side. The 20th of January meeting is a bit close as I will be playing tennis in the Senior National Titles until about then, but it's time I met some other writers so roll on 2019. I need to know where, and topics would be helpful too.
Anthony Robinson
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Hi Anthony! Do you have a link to your books? Are they traditionally published or self published?

If you want to market your own books, then here's a link that might help. A prolific and successful science fiction and fantasy author Patty Jansen has written three ebooks on how to self publish and market your work effectively. Here's a link to the first of her three books on self publishing:

https://www.amazon.com/Self-publishing- ... B0762Q1ZRN

For the writers group, all of the meeting information is in here, with the date and location:

https://www.infinitaswriters.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=12
(You can find the "THE NEXT MEETING IS..." section under 'Members', from the forum's front page.)

Usually the meetings take place on the FOURTH Sunday of each month, at the Shakespeare Hotel at 200 Devonshire Street in Surry Hills (please be advised that Devonshire Street is currently being dug up for the new light rail, so driving there may be tricky. It is about five minutes walk from Central station, though).

We don't cover particular topics; we post our stories online by the deadlines listed in the 'Monthly Workshops' section, then everyone who's posted a story is expected to read everyone else's stories and provide critiques. Usually we do this in Word, where you can add comments and turn on 'track changes'. (PDF files cannot be posted as it's impossible to add comments to them. If you're using Scrivener, then you can either export your work as a Word file, or copy the text and paste it into a new Word file.)

Here is all the information on reading and posting. Please follow these rules before posting a story!

https://www.infinitaswriters.com/forum/ ... um.php?f=8

It is best to start with a short story of no more than 5000 words rather than jumping straight in with a novel.

If you post a story, then you need to come to the meeting for further discussion. If you're unable to attend, then save your story for when you are able to attend.

Hope all this info helps!
shxinny

Post by shxinny »

ahahahaha I realised I never did one of these things. So hi I'm shxinny. I write kissy books about boys kissing boys and girls kissing girls (and maybe one day girls kissing boys). I spend a lot of time thinking about HOW DO I MAKE BOYS (or girls) KISS
noemz
Site Admin

Post by noemz »

Greetings, shxinny! You sound really cool. Your stories sound very racy. Please bring your stories along, and I'll grab a jug of cold water from the bar.
TerryTalksFiction

Post by TerryTalksFiction »

Hi all! Heard about this group through Darren - looking forward to getting to know the people here :-)

I'm Terry - I'm mostly a reviewer (Aurealis Magazine and my own website/podcast - although the latter's been suffering some severe schedule creep this year...) and a professional Beta reader, although I do have a book of short SFF stories out and another in the wings waiting for me to get around to hitting 'publish'. At the moment, I'm working on my first (hahahahaha, "first") full-length fantasy novel.

I'm based in Geelong, Victoria rather than Sydney, so hoping that the online component of the group will hang around for a good while! ;-)

Can't wait to start reading your work!

Terence MacManus.